Friday, October 28, 2011

Drinks for the Drinking Nonthusiast: Magic Hat #9

 The Contestant:
Magic Hat #9
Isn't the label awesome looking?



The Review:
This is the second installment of the night I went out with friends and just picked a random beer off of the menu!  I decided on Magic Hat #9 because I already love their Circus Boy.  (If I am incorrect in my labeling of this beer please correct me because the menu only said "Magic Hat" and I never saw a bottle or the tap, so I had to read other reviews to see what flavor they said for Magic Hat's main brews so I could label it on here)

What are you're initial thoughts?
I should have stuck to the Dead Guy Ale.  The moment I received the Magic Hat, I knew I made the wrong decision.  The smell was overwhelming.  I decided (with the help of my friends at the table) that this beer smells exactly like a Jolly Rancher candy.  Specifically the strawberry one.  If you have ever had one of these candies, you know it smells and tastes nothing like a real strawberry, but it is sugary sweet artificial strawberry none the less.  Now imagine that with beer undertones.  That is what the Magic Hat I ordered tasted like.  (according to other reviewers, #9 has an intense fruity apricot flavor, but I couldn't get past the candy-like flavor in general)

How's the price?
I believe I paid about $5 for a pint, which of course is more than I would like to pay for beer, but since I was eating out, I was willing to pay for it.  I assume a 6-pack is a bit more reasonably priced.

Would you ever buy this again?
Never again.  The candy flavor is not something I enjoy at all.  The beer itself is not necessarily a bad beer, but the flavor is just not my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment