Friday, July 1, 2011

Drinks for the Drinking Nonthusiast: Victory's Moonglow Weizenbock

The Contestant:
Victory Moonglow Weizenbock
Source: their website
The Review:
What are your initial thoughts?
Well I bought this beer wanting something different from my usual, but still wanting a wheat beer.  The pretty colors on the label caught my attention this time.  I'm not so sure about the flavor though.  Unlike the other wheat beers I have tried, this one has the "flavors of harvest fruit" (says their website).  Which I determined  actually means blueberry.  That was a bit of a surprise, when I was definitely not expecting that flavor.  I'm not a huge fan of blueberry, so I might pawn this beer off on my boyfriend, and drink the beer that I incorrectly bought for my one roommate (Right company, wrong type! but more on that later).  Other than the blueberry flavor, which isn't incredibly strong or sweet, this beer is pretty decent.  Although on a funny side note, when doing a bit of research on this beer, I discovered that it is only supposed to be available September through October.  Last time I checked it was July (or June when I actually bought this), so this particular six-pack has to be almost a year old.  I'm not a huge beer nut, but I always thought that young beer is better beer (or so my dad has me to believe), but I also don't know what makes older beer worse.  Maybe I should research, or just ask my dad!

How's the price?
I paid around $10 for a six-pack at the local liquor store.  That is definitely more than I would like to pay for my beer, but I really wanted to try this out.  I don't think it's worth the price. but apparently it is imported from Germany, so I guess that is what makes it more expensive than something of a more local origin.

So would you buy this again?
Very doubtfully.  I'm really disappointed with my purchase this time.  That might be mainly because of the blueberry flavor, but I'm not sure.  If you already like blueberry beers, this might be something for you to try, but it's certainly not going to be something I want again.

Things I learned:
1. I think wiezenbock means wheat beer.  I notice it a lot on the labels of the wheat beers I already drink, and this made it a bit more obvious to me.
2. Labels and descriptions on beer when I go look at them at the store are really poorly written.  "Floral" and "fruity" are not specific terms and do nothing to help a description!  Oh well, I am learning to interpret these ambiguous descriptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment